Indoor track and field takes off with a bang

Track women come back from break strong

Rachel+Rauner+sets+up+for+the+60-meter+dash+in+the+2016+Dakota+Reality+Alumni+meet+in+Vermillion%2C+S.D.+this+past+weekend.+

Photo by Tessa Ives

Rachel Rauner sets up for the 60-meter dash in the 2016 Dakota Reality Alumni meet in Vermillion, S.D. this past weekend.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

VERMILLION–The Wayne State College women’s track and field team traveled to Vermillion , South Dakota to compete in the 2016 Dakota Reality Alumni Track and Field meet held in the Dakota Dome on the USD campus.

Senior thrower Kyndra Strum’s third place finish in the weight throw (54’3 ½”) paced the ‘Cats, and redshirt freshman Tessa Ives came in sixth place with a throw 47’9”.

Freshman Rachel Rauner recorded a seventh-place finish in the 60-meter dash, while Molly Kingsley came in eighth place in the 3,000-meter run.

Other top finishers were Melissa Kroll and Andrea DeSimone, coming in eighth and ninth respectively in the 400-meter dash.

“We are focused on being prepared for the NSIC Championships, so we didn’t back off any with training coming into this meet,” head coach Marlon Brink said. “The meet this weekend at Mankato will be good preparation for our team to get use to the facilities and track, where the championships will be held at the end of February.”

WSC track teams will compete again next weekend in Mankato, Minn.