Education majors mentoring others on diversity

Kaylen+Tunink+is+listening+to+Erika+Schwartz%E2%80%99s+presentation+on+the+Orphan+Grain+Train.+The+Orphan+Grain+Train+donates+medicine%2C+clothing+and+food+to+people+in+need.+

Photo by Tess Riecke

Kaylen Tunink is listening to Erika Schwartz’s presentation on the Orphan Grain Train. The Orphan Grain Train donates medicine, clothing and food to people in need.

Samuel Baylie, Staff Writer

Students from the Intro to Education in a Diverse Society (EDU 150) class sponsored the annual semester-ending diversity fair at the Kanter Student Center last Thursday.

The students participating in the class are required by the Nebraska Department of Education to present projects to the public about different diversities and cultures of their choice, including religion, ethnicity, learning difficulties and disabilities, socioeconomic status, age and sexual orientation. This gives people a deeper look at individual differences.

The diversity fair is a way for the students of EDU 150 to not only teach people about multiple cultures, but to also do some research of their own. This is their capstone project for the semester, and students were required to work 6-8 hours on the projects for them to be displayed at the fair.

The projects allow the students to immerse themselves in different cultures they may encounter in classrooms. The projects ranged from students joining PRIDE, working for Habitat for Humanity, researching recipes from different cultures and even making blankets for the homeless.

“All of the students did such a wonderful job,” Chris Tee Weixelman, assistant professor of education, said. “This is a teaching opportunity for the students to investigate and learn about different cultures and people.”