Tornado takes scoreboard but donors bring it back

After two years, rugby gets a new score board

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Wayne Rugby Park gained a new scoreboard over the Elite Eight Weekend in mid-November.

“It’s really nice to have a scoreboard and I’m glad it helps allow us to host higher level games,” rugby player Katie Kirkpatrick said.

A strong request by the USA Collegiate League and a requirement that the playoff host have a scoreboard helped push this project forward. Wayne was one of three cities to host the Elite Eight Tournament.

The old WSC football scoreboard was given to the park when the stadium received the new jumbotron.  However, this board experienced problems, costing the team hundreds of dollars in repairs each semester.

This scoreboard was never found after the tornado struck Wayne in October 2013, leaving the field without easily view able statistics.

“The new scoreboard is great, nice and bright numbers, with a brand new wireless system,” rugby coach Darrin Barner said.

This new scoreboard has refurbished LED lights from Tabor Iowa, and was delivered by American Lift and Sign from Omaha. Northeast Nebraska Insurance Company also contributed as well as Cap Peterson, a former WSC football player, Wildcat supporter and NSCS board member.

This updated board allowed Wayne to host the Elite Eight Weekend, and it could keep Wayne on the USA rugby radar for future national playoff events.

“Wayne Korth was very eager to help,” Barner said. “He has been following WSC rugby with our success at the non-varsity level, and was eager to use his construction skills and wanted to help get the footings set. He did other scoreboard installations at the softball complex with their new boards.

“It went smooth and perfect with Mr. Korth working three nights after work to get it up two days before playoffs. Without him, we would have never had the scoreboard up in time.”