More awesome shows from the music and art departments to delight students

Taylor Clark, Staff Writer

Looking for an escape, or in need of a relaxing night? Look no further than the upcoming events sponsored by the Wayne State College Department of Music.

The WSC Department of Music will present the brass and percussion ensembles concert tonight (Dec. 2) at 7:30 p.m. in Ramsey Theatre, located in the Peterson Fine Arts building. This ensemble will be directed by Brad Weber and Lauren Calkin and will feature the mallet quartet, performance of “Sleep” by Eric Whitacre, as well as, Sousa’s “Stars and Stripes Forever” and a John Tatgenhorst piece called “Razzle-Dazzle Rock.”

Combining with the percussion ensemble, WSC Wildcat Marching Band drumline will perform popular marching band tunes to entertain you. The ensemble will also have guest performers from Wayne Junior High and Winside High School for an enticing, one -of-a-kind song.

Dr. Josh Calkin directs the brass ensemble, which will perform works by Beethoven and Henry Fillmore with an additional performance of Christmas music to get you in the mood for the holidays. The “Brass Knuckles” student brass quintet will also perform during the concert.
Also today through Dec. 18, The WSC Department of Art & Design will present WSC senior artists Taryn Tenopir and Alexa Malm in the Senior Exhibition on display in the Nordstrand Visual Arts Gallery, with an Opening Reception from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.

A senior recital featuring WSC students Ben Bruflat and Hannah Dierking will present a trumpet concert Saturday, Dec. 5, at 1 p.m. in Ley Theatre, located in the Brandenburg Education building.

The “Wildcat Big Band” Jazz Ensemble is set to take the stage Monday Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Ramsey Theatre in the Peterson Fine Arts building. Directed by Calkin, the big band will perform pieces from Charles Mingus, Maynard Ferguson, George, Ira Gershwin and other highly-acclaimed composers.

The performance will also feature instrumental solos from Bruflat on trumpet, senior Stephanie Westerhaus on saxophone, sophomore Dusty Leifert also on saxophone, senior Aaron Von Seggern on trumpet, senior Marcus Knight on trombone, freshman Tom Toel on trombone as well and junior Jaydn Harding on percussion.

Watch as WSC students perform the Student Conductors’ concert Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 7:30 p.m. in Ramsey Theatre. This is an opportunity for music students to rehearse and perform a concert in preparation for their career as teaching or performing careers. It is a hands-on and practical application of the skills developed in music courses.

This year’s program will feature seven student conductors in performance with the WSC Symphonic band. Conductors include senior Angelica Ostry, senior Carey Franklin, junior Katie Welsh, junior Olivia Nottlemann, senior Hannah Dierking, senior Nate Acton and senior Laura Guenther.

The Black and Gold Show Choir and Mariachi Negro y Oro will share an evening performance on Wednesday, Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in Ramsey. For this year, the Show Choir is all about dance and will perform popular hits such as “Dynamite” by Taio Cruz, “Time of my Life” from Dirty Dancing, “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon, as well as many others. A full horn section will be incorporated as well as multiple soloists.

The WSC Mariachi Negro y Oro was formed this semester under the direction of Calkin. Including instruments such as the trumpet, violin, vihuela, guitar and guitarron and will perform traditional mariachi tunes.

For more information on any of these performances, contact the WSC Department of Music or the WSC Department of Art and Design.