Singing a new tune

Owens becomes director of choral activities at WSC

Melanie Alyea, Staff Writer

Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.

Maggie Blair Owens, the new director of choral activities in the music department, lives by this motto as she exchanged Kentucky Wildcat blue for Wayne State Wildcat black and gold.

Owens is from Bowling Green, Ky., which is located in south central Kentucky, less than an hour from Nashville. Bowling Green is home to Western Kentucky University and is also the only place in the world where Corvettes are made.

Currently, Owens is in the final stages of completing her doctorate of musical arts in choral conducting from the University of Kentucky. She also holds a masters of music in choral conducting from Michigan State University, a masters of arts in educational administration from Western Kentucky University and a bachelor’s of music in music education from the University of Kentucky.

Owens previously taught at Bowling Green High School, her alma mater, for five years before pursuing her doctorate at the University of Kentucky. While at UK, she held many teaching appointments as a graduate assistant.

“I love helping students realize their potential and grow into future leaders,” Owens said. “College students are at an age that is often full of confusion about what to do with one’s life and fears about not being successful, but I highly enjoy being a part of our many success stories at WSC, in which young college students become promising music teachers and performers.”

WSC executed a national search for the director of choral activities position, in which Owens originally saw the job opening. After applying and going through a few interviews and a campus visit, she was offered the position.

“Both the college community and the Wayne community have been very welcoming. My colleagues in the music department are wonderful people, and I enjoy working with them,” Owens said.
Away from her job, Owens enjoys singing, playing the piano, tap dancing, practicing yoga and snow skiing. She also has a passion for watching sports.

“I love sports, especially college basketball and professional football,” Owens said. “I cheer for the Tennessee Titans and the Kentucky Wildcats and during my spare time, I manage a few fantasy football teams.”

Owens has shown her passion for music at WSC and encourages all students to look into the music department.

“At WSC, we offer an unauditioned Monday night chorale for college and community members, and also three auditioned groups including concert choir, show choir, and madrigals, which I conduct,” Owens said. “I would like all students at WSC to make a place for the arts in their lives. Come see a concert or join a choir. Everyone has the ability to sing. It is proven that engaging in a community ensemble makes you a happier person, and it is something that you can continue throughout your life.”