Mavericks take Wildcats’ last game

Mason Schweizer, Staff Writer

The WSC Wildcats’ season came to an end Saturday in Mankato, with a 42-14 loss to sixth-ranked Minnesota State.

The ‘Cats finished the season with a 4-7 record, and 1-6 in the NSIC South.

“We played hard and competed against a great football team, but we didn’t make plays and had some mental mistakes,” coach Dan McLaughlin said. “It is weird to say with this [final score], but we were close and continued to fight.”

The Mavericks got to an early 14-0 lead in the first quarter via two Ricky Lloyd touchdown passes and never looked back.

“A few of our mistakes came early on our first drive. We were driving down the field and a penalty and dropped pass killed our drive,” McLaughlin said. “Then we had (Mankato) on 3rd and 12 and let them convert. Two plays early could have changed the way things ended up going.”

Lloyd added a third passing touchdown in the second quarter before breaking free for a 65-yard touchdown run in the third that put the ‘Cats down 28-0 after three quarters.

WSC quarterback Taylor Reedy found Marcel Dunson for a three-yard score in the fourth, and that was sandwiched by a pair of Virgil Hammond touchdown runs for the Mavs.

Fullback Houston Huss punched in a one-yard touchdown on the ‘Cats last possession of the season in the closing moments of the contest.

Reedy completed a dozen of his 34 pass attempts for 131 yards. One of those passes was an interception, and one was the touchdown connection to Dunson. Dunson was the leading receiver of the day for WSC, reeling in four balls for 44 yards, while senior Nick Roth caught three passes for 32 yards.

Lane Yates was the leading rusher for the ‘Cats, compiling 61 yards on 18 carries. Ryan Ludlow, who had been battling a knee issue in recent weeks, ended his collegiate career with 21 yards on 11 carries.

Two Wildcat defenders finished the contest with double-digit tackles: senior defensive Jon Davis had 14 tackles as well as an interception, while linebacker Christian Campos ended his first college season with 10 tackles. Fellow redshirt freshman Jamaal Conway-Smith capped off his solid first season with an interception as well.

Senior Shawn Barker sacked Lloyd once on the day, as did redshirt freshman Logan Weinandt.

After the game, McLaughlin thanked his seniors for their time with the ‘Cats football program.

“They dedicated a lot to this school and this program,” McLaughlin said. “Most of them have been here for five years, some more, some less, but they were a really good class and I was proud of them and thanked them for that.”

For McLaughlin, his attention shifts immediately to offseason preparation.

“I’m excited for the future. A lot of our losses were tough conference games on the road and we played tough. Most of our best players were freshmen and sophomores, and I’m excited to get back into the offseason preparations and get next season started.”

Scoring Summary
1st 05:45 MSU Johnson, Taylor 12 yd pass from Lloyd, Ricky (Haffar, Alden kick); 13 plays, 85 yards, TOP 5:02 ; 0 – 7
01:29 MSU Esser, Brent 18 yd pass from Lloyd, Ricky (Haffar, Alden kick); 8 plays, 73 yards, TOP 3:21; 0 – 14

2nd 06:43 MSU Esser, Brent 22 yd pass from Lloyd, Ricky (Haffar, Alden kick; 8 plays, 80 yards, TOP 3:27; 0 – 21

3rd 08:12 MSU Lloyd, Ricky 64 yd run (Haffar, Alden kick); 2 plays, 68 yards, TOP 0:44; 0 – 28

4th 12:52 MSU Hammond, Virgil 47 yd run (Haffar, Alden kick); 6 plays, 75 yards, TOP 2:11; 0 – 35
08:36 WSC Dunson, Marcel 3 yd pass from Reedy, Taylor (Simon, Sam kick); 11 plays, 75 yards, TOP 4:16; 7 – 35
06:20 MSU Hammond, Virgil 14 yd run (Haffar, Alden kick); 4 plays, 43 yards, TOP 2:10; 7 – 42
01:58 WSC Huss, Houston 1 yd run (Simon, Sam kick); 10 plays, 75 yards, TOP 4:22; 14 – 42