Life hacks: How to Survive College

Josh Tvrdy, Staff Writer

How am I going to fit all my stuff in this tiny room? How can I possibly stay up long enough to study for this test? Should I sign up for that 8 a.m. class?

These are all questions that at some point or another every college student will ask themselves.

It is easy to make a wrong decision when dealing with these issues. They say hindsight is 20/20; so take these words of wisdom from someone who is in his fifth year at WSC. These are some of my tips to get the most out of your college years.

First off, 8 a.m. classes are a no go. If there is any physical way in the universe around it, don’t take an 8 a.m. class. It may seem like a good idea to have all your classes in the morning so you can be free in the afternoon, but it will be harder than you imagine.

You might be thinking, “I’ll just go to bed early and be well rested for class.” Wrong! You will more than likely be studying for a test or hanging out with friends, not going to bed early like you had thought you would.

When it comes to the task of fitting everything into your tiny dorm, start off with only bringing the essentials, then you can always bring other things you might need at a later date. I know how it goes: your mother will try to tell you that you need to bring everything under the sun, because it’s better to be prepared.

This is wrong. Sorry, mom, the lawn chairs and full kitchen set you want me to bring doesn’t need to be brought to Bowen Hall.

That’s a true story. My mother actually convinced me to bring that stuff to college my freshman year. So when packing to leave for the end of the semester, be thinking of what you haven’t used and take it home, because if you haven’t used it by this point you aren’t going to.

When it comes to studying for tests, I can tell you from experience that waiting until midnight the night before is not a great time to study. Other social things might seem more important, but sadly they are not. Going over to your friend’s dorm room to watch the latest episode of “Keeping up with the Kardashians” is not a valid reason to put off studying.

This is college, and these tests don’t pass themselves. Go to the library and sit in the stacks alone and study. You are way more likely to get meaningful studying done this way. It might seem like a good idea to go study with friends, but this usually doesn’t work. It only takes one non-studying friend to derail your studying and distract you from getting anything done.

Surviving college is hard, but if you remember these facts, you might save yourself a few headaches along the way.