Board of Trustees meet in Wayne to discuss renovations

Derek Pufahl, Staff Writer

Wayne State College is hosting the Nebraska State College System (NSCS) Board of Trustees this week in the Kanter Student Center for their regular meeting.

At the Friday board meeting, the acceptance and approval of the program statement and design development documents for the Bowen Hall renovation will be discussed. Schemmer Associates Inc. has been selected to provide design services for the project.

The board will also be presented with a resolution to authorize the sale of up to $11.5 million in revenue bonds for the Bowen Hall project.

WSC’s 2012 campus master plan recommended a renovation of Benthack Hall with an upgraded facility that provides students with safe, accessible and modern facilities. A plan for this renovation has been developed with the assistance of BVH architects, and will be presented by BVH to the board.

WSC will request board approval to use $500,000 on a one-time basis from unappropriated cash funds for the Lindahl Drive Improvements project. The board previously approved capital improvement fees of $700,000 and cash funds of $1,500,000 for use on earlier phases of the nearly completed project. The request for $500,000 should allow for project completion.

Board members, NSCS vice chancellors and administration from Peru State College and Chadron State College arrived in Wayne today (Wednesday) for the Council of Academic Officers meeting and the Council of Business Officers meeting in the Meadowlark Room and the Bluestem Room.

These meetings are for vice presidents and their system office counterparts to discuss issues to be brought up in future board meetings.

On Thursday morning in the Elkhorn Room, a Fundamentals of Higher Education Finance Workshop will be held for board members, system office staff and the college presidents.

This will be followed by a board executive session at 10:30 a.m. to discuss personnel, litigation and liability issues. The specifics of these meetings are kept confidential.

The Academic and Personnel Committee, the Facilities and Audit Committee and the Student Affairs, Marketing and Enrollment Committee will each break up into groups at 2 p.m. These meetings are made up of the vice presidents from each of the colleges, as well as at least one board of trustees member.

The board of trustees meeting will then be held on Friday at 8 a.m. in the Niobrara Room.