Honoring Mandela at WSC

Photo by Derek Pufahl

Bill Jammers and Dean Jacobs plant the Swamp White Oak tree in memory of Nelsen Mandela. The tree is located near the northwest corner of the Kanter Student Center.

Taylor Clark, Staff Writer

Sprouting from the ground and making its way to Wayne America for a great cause.

That’s what happened Thursday afternoon when South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, politician and philanthropist Nelson Mandela was memorialized by the African Students Association (ASA) with a ceremonial planting of a Swamp White Oak tree, located near the north-west corner of the Kanter Student Center.

Vice president of ASA Bethany Janzen was there to welcome attendees and kick off the ceremony.

“It’s heart-warming to see all of you who came out to honor this incredible man,” Janzen said.

Following Janzen were honorable words from WSC grounds manager Kim Schramm and president of ASA Kelsi Anderson. Dean Jacobs, who is a 1986 WSC graduate, writer and educator, said a few words as well before taking on the honor of excavating a spot for the oak.

“I’m excited and thankful for each and every one of you who could make it here today. This is a very special person we are honoring today,” Jacobs said.
Jacobs then quoted Mandela: “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”

A round plaque was placed in front of the oak inscribed with this quote and Mandela’s name, as well as a credit to the African Students Association for planting the tree.

“Glad we could have this. It’s good for the world and Mandela,” Dominic Reinke said.

After the tree was planted, students and faculty attending the ceremony had the opportunity to shovel in dirt around the oak, helping honor Nelsen Mandela.