Wildcats seniors retire as season comes to an end

Soccer finishes the season with a 4-11 overall record

WSC+players+celebrate+after+the+teams+fourth+win+of+the+season+against+Sioux+Falls.+The+Wildcats+finished+the+season+with+a+record+of+4-11.+

Photo by Tess Riecke

WSC players celebrate after the teams fourth win of the season against Sioux Falls. The Wildcats finished the season with a record of 4-11.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Freshman forward Carys Hund from Elmhurst, Ill. scored two goals to help the Wildcat soccer team to a 4-1 win over Sioux Falls University on Friday night in WSC’s last home match.

Hund opened the scoring for the Cats when Suenly Galvez put in a cross for Hund, hitting the back of the net for the first time.

It didn’t take long for Sioux Falls to tie up the game in the 24th minute when Chessa Novotny hit a cross that found its way over the outreached arms of Wildcat goalkeeper Kylie Comba.

The Wildcats caught a break as a Cougar defender tried to clear the ball, but kicked it into her own goal instead.

Wayne State never looked back. It took just under four minutes into the second half for midfielder Kelsey Engstrom to score off of a long throw-in by Natalie Rech.

Hund rounded out the scoring in the 55th minute with the assist going to freshman Brooke Buzzell.

The Wildcats finished with a 17-9 advantage in shots over the Cougars, including 11-2 in shots on goal. WSC held an 8-2 edge in corner kicks and was called for 11 fouls to just four on the Cougars.
Hund was a stand-out as she led WSC offensively with two goals and three shots, all on goal. Engstrom recorded her third goal of the season, while Buzzell had a team-high four shots, with two on goal.

After allowing only one goal and registering one save, Comba picked up the win for the Wildcats.

There wasn’t much time to celebrate, however, as the team loaded up a bus and drove to Southwest Minnesota State to play the last game of the season on Sunday.

Unfortunately for the ‘Cats, the game ended in a loss as the Mustangs scored the decisive goal of the match late in the second half.

There was not a lot of action in the first half, as neither team could break down their opponents’ defense. Wayne State looked the most dangerous, recording four of seven shots on goal from both teams, while also having the advantage in corner kicks, 4-0.

The Mustangs came out firing in the second half, out-shooting the Wildcats 5-1. Wayne State stayed disciplined on defense, blocking any chances on goal. Finally in the 82 minute, Southwest Minnesota State’s Kendahl Fisher broke down the Cats’ defense and scored the game winning shot.

Southwest Minnesota State held a 8-5 advantage in shots in the match over Wayne State, while the Wildcats held a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks. WSC was also only called for three fouls compared to the seven called on the Mustangs.

Hund and Buzzell led the Wildcats on the offensive with one shot on the goal each. Christina Stasi, Hannah Thayer and Hannah Knight each also added shots on goal for the ‘Cats in the match.

Comba had two saves in the game, while allowing just one goal.

Seniors Josie Brown, Kara Noesen, Amy Oates, Natalie Poppe and Hannah Thayer put on their Wildcat uniforms for the last time Sunday. The Cats ended the season with a 4-11-3 record.