Interactive show for homecoming week

Photo By Justin Yost

Some students were hypnotized by Paul Ramsay during his show last week.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Hypnotist Paul Ramsay talked in a quiet, calming voice, asking students to put both hands in front of them, left hand with the palm facing up and the right hand with the thumb up.

Within minutes, a young lady in the crowd started screaming. Ram­say knew she was hypnotized.

Ramsay came to WSC last Thursday for a night of entertain­ment in Ramsey Theatre.

Hypnosis is defined as the induc­tion of a state of consciousness in which a person apparently loses the power of voluntary action and is highly responsive to suggestion or direction.

Before the show, a video was shown of his past performances. Students could see what they were ready to witness live, and it was go­ing to be hilarious.

“People who don’t believe in hypnosis usually can’t be hypno­tized,” Ramsay said.

Being a hypnotist is Ramsay’s full time job, hypnotizing 1,500 people a year. He did an exercise to start off the show to relax everyone.

Ramsay does things differently with the crowd. He hypnotizes everyone in the crowd who wants to be, instead of taking volunteers.

Everyone who is hypnotized is asked to come to the stage, and he chooses who he thinks is the most receptive.

One funny thing he made the hypnotized people do was have an air guitar battle. Senior Matt Henry got the crowd going when he started playing the guitar with his tongue.

A young lady had to stand up and yell “who’s your daddy” every time Ramsay said the magic word. She would jump up yell, “who’s your daddy” with a big smile on her face, then look around and sit down looking scared. He made her do it five times, and the crowd laughed uncontrollably.

When the show came to an end, Ramsay woke everyone up so they couldn’t remember a thing. He sent very confused people back to their seats. The song “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey started play­ing, and everyone started to sing along. Once the crowd sang the words “born and raised in south Detroit,” the hypnotized people could remember everything.

If you missed the show you can check out Paul Ramsay’s work on YouTube by just searching his name.