Burglaries decrease on campus

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

The 2015 Annual Security and Safety Report released on Oct. 1 through an email to current stu­dents, staff and faculty at Wayne State College showed a mixed report on criminal activities on campus.

The report is required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), which mandates that any school receiving federal funding has to release information about crime on campus in order to improve campus safety.

“Security is everyone’s business,” WSC security manager Jason Mrsny said when he provided the report.

According to statistics, the number of aggravated assaults has increased from one on campus in 2012 to three on campus and one incident in student housing in 2014.

But the number of burglaries has decreased from eight incidents in student housing in 2012 and 2013 to only three incidents in 2014. Arson cases have disappeared since one incident reported on campus in 2012. Disciplinary referrals due to weapons have decreased after four incidents in 2012 in student housing.

If you want a printed copy of the 2015 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, you can stop by campus security or have a copy mailed by calling (402) 375-7216.

Any individual that is in an unsafe situation or is worried for another’s safety at WSC should contact campus security at (402) 375 – 7216.