First win for soccer

Photo By Justin Yost

Josie Brown, the newly minted defensive player, kicks away the ball in last Saturday’s game. WSC Soccer would go on to win the game against Minnesota Crookston 1-0.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Head soccer coach Bruce Erik­son made a bold decision to move senior forward Josie Brown to defender, and it paid off, as WSC women’s soccer earned their first win of the season on Saturday.

It only took nine minutes for freshman Christina Stasi to score the lone goal of the game off of a corner kick assisted by Suenly Galvez to seal the win for the Wildcats.

Minnesota Crookston had their chances in the game, having three corner kicks in the first seven minutes of the contest. It took only one chance for WSC.

The Wildcats held the advan­tage in shots 15-7. Stasi scored her second goal of the season, while shooting a team-high four shots.

Freshman Brooke Buzzell add­ed three more shots and junior keeper Kylie Comba had three saves to record her second clean sheet of the season.

WSC’s second home game of the week was against Bemidji State on Sunday with the Beavers scoring 28 minutes into the game.

WSC had their best chance to score at the end of the first half as both Amy Oates and Kelsey Engstrom had point blank shots at the Beavers goal, only to be blocked and cleared away.

Bemidji State came back out in the second half and dominated the field, holding the shot advantage 13-1. Comba made a number of saves to keep the Wildcats in the game.

WSC only had one chance to score in the second half, but couldn’t capitalize, ending the game in a 1-0 defeat.

The Beavers ended the game with a 25-6 shot advantage and Comba had an outstanding game, making 11 saves and letting only one in.

WSC will be in action again at Minnesota Duluth on Friday evening at 6 p.m. and then St. Cloud State on Sunday in a 1 p.m. contest.