Soccer ties after double overtime


Photo By Tess Riecke

Natalie Rech deflects Northern State midfielder Kay Hernandez’s reach for the ball on Saturday’s game.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College women’s soccer team let in another late goal as they saw their first win of the season slip away.

WSC started their weekend off on Saturday, taking on Northern State at the WSC soccer pitch. It didn’t take long for Northern State to get the upper hand, scoring their first goal just seven minutes into the contest.

The Cats responded shortly after on a long throw in by Natalie Rech, which found junior Kelsey Engstrom who tied the game at 1-1.

Just five minutes later, Northern State’s Darian Leschewski second goal of the game to take the 2-1 advantage into half time.

Within the first minute of the second half, Le­schewski scored her third goal of the game to put the game out of reach for the Wildcats.

“We have mental let downs, either right after a goal or the first five minutes of a half and we let in bad goals,” Bruce Erikson said. “That is the difference of us being .500 this season.”

Senior Josie Brown led the Wildcats with three shots on goal. Junior goalie K­lowing three goals.

WSC stayed positive on Sun­day when Minnesota State University Moorhead came to town.

Senior defender Natalie Poppe started the scoring off three minutes into the match, blasting a loose ball in front of the net to give the Wildcats the 1-0 lead. The Cats’ continued to look dangerous, but couldn’t find the back of the net going into half time.

In the second half Moorhead had the wind at their backs and controlled the game, outshooting WSC 12-3. Wayne State’s de­fense held through un­til just 2 minutes and 7 seconds left in game when a wind aided ball came soaring in over the out stretched a

“Our fight was never a question,” Erickson said “It’s hard to keep your mind right for overtime after letting in a goal like that, but our team never gives up.”

In overtime, Wayne State looked the more dangerous of the two teams. WSC earned an indirect free kick inside the box in the first overtime. Suenly Galvez stepped up for the initial shot, which was blocked and fell perfectly to Poppe only to blast the point blank shot over the net. WSC outshot Moorhead in overtime, but couldn’t find the back of the net.

“We are really improving,” Er­ickson said. “We had some girls sit this game out for different reasons. We just need to get our best 11 out there and play, and I think we can win some games.”

Wayne State will continue to look for their first win with games both Saturday and Sunday this weekend at the WSC soccer pitch.