Campus speed bump draws mixed reviews

Photo By Justin Yost

The new speed bump located on Lindahl Drive is causing damage to vehicles and creating scrapes to the newly poured concrete.

Taylor Clark, Staff Writer

Bang, bang! This is the sound that has some faculty, staff and students on campus raving.

With all the construction on campus, one particular walk way, the speed bump on east

Lindahl Drive across from the football field and northwest of Kanter Student Center, is causing quite a stir for people driving their cars over it.

Some report their vehicles bumpers are scraping the ce­ment as they travel over it.

People with trucks don’t notice it so much because of the height of the vehicle. But cars with a lower frame may suffer damages from bumping the concrete, and one student lost a front plastic skid-plate.

“I lost a front skid plate go­ing over the bump and had to get out and pick it up. It is still just sitting in my car,” Gordon Nickson said.

There are even black skid marks on the bump showing that some vehicles are hitting the bump as they go over.

One campus official said that the speed bump was installed to provide more safety for stu­dents.

“Mainly, it was put in to slow traffic down but also create a safer place for pedestrians to cross from one side to the other,” Chad Altwine, director of facility services, said.

Altwine said he thinks the speed bump is working to reduce speed.

“I think it’s working well. It adds more of a campus vibe to the college than just a city street,” he said.

Some student drivers agree that the bump increases safety.

“There shouldn’t be speeding anyway on a campus street, and I like the idea of a safer campus because of it,” Jared Peterson said.

Drivers are advised to drive slowly and inform others that might not know it is there to make sure their car—and pedestrians—are safe when bumping their way over the bump.