You had the right to remain silent

Photo By Derek Pufahl

DR. MARK LEEPER, explaining The Bill of Rights to Wayne State College students, faculty, and staff for Constitution Day.

Samuel Baylie, Staff Writer

The WSC community celebrated Constitution Day last Thursday as Dr. Mark Leeper raised such questions as, is it okay for government officials to track me if I am suspicious?

Leeper, a WSC political science professor, presented some of the issues facing the Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights.

The presentation consisted of different examples of how the amendments may be violated, and how American citizens may get more information on how they can better use this knowledge if the need arises.

Those who attended the presentation where given a paper containing some of the many court cases from the past decade that may, or may not have threatened the rights of the Fourth or Fifth amendment depending on the circumstances of the court case.

Problems facing some of these amendments include cases where drug dogs have been alerted about a car having illegal drugs stashed in the car that is being pulled over for a simple traffic violation.

Other problems include issues where a GPS tracking device is attached to a suspected drug dealer’s car without the warrant to do so, making the question of “is it okay for government officials to track me if I am suspicious?”

This presentation took place on Constitution Day, celebrated every year on Sept. 17.

Constitution Day became a national observance in 2004 when Senator Robert Byrd passed a bill creating a day for citizens to celebrate and honor the signing of the U.S. Constitution.