Tough losses for WSC Soccer


Tess Riecke

Kylie Comba leaps to block a shot from an Augustana offensive player.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Wayne State women’s soccer team lost two hard fought games over the past weekend.

The Wildcats opened the weekend under the lights, moving to the turf of Cunningham Field for a non-conference game against Nebraska-Kearney here in Wayne.

Kearney took control of the game after Montanna Hosterman hit a strike from the top of the 18-yard box into the upper left corner. Evie Sintek extended the Lopers’ lead in the 28th minute to take a 2-0 lead going into half time. Wayne State was outshot 11-3 in the first half.

Wayne State came out firing early in the second half, missing chances all around the net. The Lopers scored in the 75th minute to seal the deal.

Bryana Garcia scored with five minutes left to avoid the shut out, assisted by Hayley Hunter. With one second left in the game, Kearney scored once more to take the 4-1 victory over the Wildcats.

WSC was outshot 16-10 during the match. Senior forward Josie Brown led the team with six and goalkeeper Kylie Comba made four saves in the contest.

Things didn’t get any easier on Sunday afternoon, when Wayne State opened NSIC play against Augustana.

With three starters out for the game, Wayne had to rely on some players to step up against tough competition.

“We had three starters out today, and had to have some girls who normally play 25-45 minutes a game play 80 or 90 minutes today,” Coach Bruce Erikson said.

The girls stepped up and played Augustana to a goaless first half. Coming out with some confidence, WSC put themselves into good areas to get a goal.

Shortly into the second half, however, Augustana put themselves on the board ith a strike driven into the goal, just over the outstretched arms of Comba.

Wayne kept battling away trying to find an equalizer. With just over five minutes left Christina Stasi dribbled into the 18-yard box and got a shot away, only to be saved by the Augie goalie.

Augustana marched straight down the field and scored to put the game out reach. Augie finished the contest with the lead on shots 22-12.

“We played extremely hard today. Girls who don’t usually play as much stepped up and gave us some big minutes,” Erickson said. The Wildcats travel next to 20th-ranked Winona State on Saturday, followed quickly with a trip to Upper Iowa on Sunday.