Tales from the Aegean

One WSC student shares experiences from studying abroad in Greece

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Danielle Milburn presented on Sept. 8 on her experience studying abroad in Greece.

While studying in Greece, Milburn, and the rest of the class, stayed in Alykes, Greece, in a hotel for three months.

“Greeks are super proud to be Greek and they will share their language with you and teach you new words every day,” Milburn said.

Milburn mentioned that right away at the hotel the workers made an impact, since they were waiting for the Nebraska group wearing welcoming shirts and smiles.

The sights and activities also left an impression on Milburn. She talked about seeing old buildings and churches along with seeing oceans and snow.

Milburn even talked about getting the chance to swim and ski, which isn’t exactly the same in Wayne.

Besides the beauty of the land, Milburn mainly talked about the people.

She spoke multiple times about how kind and helpful the people were, and had a good sense of humor.

The Greek culture seemed to rub off with their dancing, food and friendly people.

Milburn mentioned that the food in Nebraska is quite different from Greek cuisine.

In Greece she got to eat octopus, Greek pizza and Greek salad along with other delicious foods.

She said there were coffee shops everywhere that offered free food with the drinks, while other restaurants charged for bread but provided free dessert.

This idea of sharing food and welcoming people in to eat shows how important family is in Greece and how welcoming their culture is.

Those attending the lecture nearly filled the room and laughed along with Milburn.

During the speech, people continued to walk into the Elkhorn Room to see what was going on, and they would grab a chair.

Towards the end of her speech Milburn said that “this was one of the best experiences of my life,” and she does plan on visiting Greece again someday.

“Everyone should definitely study abroad and not worry about missing anything back on campus for a semester, because you’ll never have three months to live in a beautiful place like Greece,” Milburn said.

For students interested there is another chance to study abroad in Greece from March 6 through May 27.

There is also a trip planned for Asia from March 13 through May 20 or Costa Rica next summer (May through June).

For more information, or if interested in studying abroad please contact International Education Director Gerald Conway by e-mailing [email protected] or calling (402) 375-7029.