Wildcats run wild in season opener

WSC rolls for almost 400 yards on ground in 58-16 win over Minnesota-Crookston.

Photo By Justin Yost

Sophomore Lane Yates rushes past the line for a 9-yard run on Saturday’s game against Minnesota-Crookston.

Mason Schweizer, Staff Writer

While many teams prefer to start the game on defense after winning the opening coin toss, the Wayne State Wildcats decided they wanted the opportunity to strike first this last Saturday.

Zach Osborn and Nick Roth connected for a touchdown on the first drive and the Wildcats never looked back, walloping the Minnesota-Crookston Golden Eagles 58-16 at Bob Cunningham Field.

Though the first two touchdowns the team scored were via the pass, the Wildcats made their mark on the ground most of all.

WSC ran the ball 56 times for 397 yards and four touchdowns, with Alex Kline leading the way with 167 yards and a touchdown.

“We wanted to set the tone with our offensive line and I think we did that,” Osborn said. “And our running backs: they’re good.”

Osborn added to the run game himself with a running 17 yard touchdown in the second quarter.

He was one of four Wildcats to run in a touchdown, and threw four more as well, to go along with his 265 yards on 15-23 passing, which came primarily in the first half.

Sophomore Marcel Dunson accounted for seven of the completions and 128 of the yards, as well as a pair of touchdowns.

It was a coming out party for Dunson, who head coach Dan McLaughlin expected to be a breakout player this season, saying that among all his teammates, Dunson had emerged the most through spring and summer play.

“[Dunson] played very good today,” Osborn said. “And he will continue to get better next week.”

Dunson will have to get better next week, as will the rest of his teammates, as the Wildcats go to Minnesota over the weekend to play third-ranked Minnesota-Duluth.

“We have to clean some things up next week in terms of penalties and special teams and a couple of missed assignments, but it’s the first game,” Osborn said. “They (Minnesota-Duluth) are a good team, but we have a good offense. We will just have to score more points than them.”

Defensively, the Wildcats were led by senior defensive back Jon Davis with six tackles.

The defensive line caused issues for the Minnesota-Crookston backfield all day, sacking and intercepting quarterback Tra Hearns three times, with two of the interceptions off batted balls by the defensive line.

Wayne State outgained the Golden Eagles 662 to 276 yards and found the end zone early and often.

With a halftime lead of 43-16 the Wildcat starters all found themselves out of the game early in the third quarter, shortly after Dunson caught his second touchdown.

WSC’s next game will be at Minnesota-Duluth this Saturday at 1 p.m.

Score by quarter 1 2 3 4 Total

MN-Crookston 0 16 0 0 16

WSC 21 22 6 9 58

Scoring Summary

1st 12:11 WSC Roth, Nick 17 yd pass from Osborn, Zach (Lindsay, Tyler kick)

7 plays, 71 yards, TOP 2:49

09:17 WSC Dunson, Marcel 61 yd pass from Osborn, Zach (Lindsay, Tyler kick)

4 plays, 72 yards, TOP 1:44

01:27 WSC Yates, Lane 9 yd run (Lindsay, Tyler kick)

8 plays, 53 yards, TOP 2:54

2nd 14:52 UMC Richert, T. 29 yd pass from Connette, Adam (Maw, Mike kick)

5 plays, 64 yards, TOP 1:28 7 – 21

13:19 WSC Ludlow, Ryan 6 yd run (Ludlow, Ryan rush)

2 plays, 23 yards, TOP 0:32 7 – 29

10:13 WSC Osborn, Zach 17 yd run (Lindsay, Tyler kick)

5 plays, 46 yards, TOP 1:55 7 – 36

06:55 UMC Maw, Mike 41 yd field goal

7 plays, 51 yards, TOP 3:18 10 – 36

02:22 UMC Halcomb, Harold 22 yd run (Maw, Mike kick blockd)

7 plays, 60 yards, TOP 3:25 16 – 36

01:10 WSC Richardson, C. 34 yd pass from Osborn, Zach (Lindsay, Tyler kick)

7 plays, 74 yards, TOP 1:09 16 – 43

3rd 10:33 WSC Dunson, Marcel 25 yd pass from Osborn, Zach (Lindsay, Tyler kick failed) 7 plays, 80 yards, TOP 2:52 16 – 49

4th 13:24 WSC Kline, Alex 55 yd run (Lindsay, Tyler kick failed)

1 play, 55 yards, TOP 0:10 16 – 55

05:25 WSC Simon, Sam 33 yd field goal

8 plays, 31 yards, TOP 3:42 16 – 58