New faculty welcomed to the U.S.

Melanie Alyea, Sports Editor

This fall there plenty of new faculty members along with new students.

One of these new faculty members is Lindice Aleman, an assistant professor in the Language and Literature department.

Aleman is originally from Cuba and moved to the United States in Nov. 2003.

“Because the relatives I had/have in this country live in Tampa, Florida, I was living there with them a year and a half. However, I moved to Missouri in 2005 when I was accepted in the Graduate School,” Aleman said. “My family (mother, sisters) still live in Santiago de Cuba.”

Aleman was accepted to Washington University in St. Louis, Mo. where she later got her degree.

“I have a Ph.D in Hispanic Language and Literature with a major in Contemporary Latin America Literatures and minors in Colonial Literature and Peninsular Literatures,” Aleman said.

She also has a graduate certificate in women, gender and sexuality studies.

Her first teaching job was at the University of Missouri-Columbia as a teaching assistant from 2005-2007, and she continued to assistant teach at Washington University in St. Louis from 2007-2013.

Aleman then moved up from teaching assistant to a Spanish Level 1 coordinator and lecturer in Spanish in 2013-2014.

Her first part-time lecturing job was at St. Louis University, where she also was a lab supervisor in spring 2014. Aleman’s most recent job was at Truman State University in Kirksville, Mo., as a visiting assistant professor of Spanish.

“I heard about this job at higher education jobs and so far it is going good,” Aleman said.