Sayre Andersen remembered as outstanding professor

Photo By College Relations

Sayre Andersen taught for 30 years at Wayne State College.

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Sayre Andersen, a retired professor at WSC and Wayne resident, passed away Monday, Aug. 24, at 77 from cancer.

A professor for 40 years, he leaves behind a legacy of teaching and compassion.

“I liked just talking, sharing ideas, and sharing books. I always felt like he was a part of my family and I was a part of his,” retired professor and friend Gilbert Vaughn said.

“He was a very easy person to work with, and very easy for people to talk to. That’s part of what made him a good teacher.”

Andersen worked for 30 years at WSC, where he always showed hard work and dedication.

Andersen was born in Hinsdale, Ill., and grew up in Park Ridge and Peoria. In 1956 he graduated from Illinois’ Maine High School as valedictorian, lettering in baseball as a knuckleball pitcher.

After high school Andersen went to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He thrived in college life as president of his freshman class and member of Chi Psi. Andersen graduated from the U of I with a bachelor’s degree and advanced degree in English and American literature, and used these degrees to become the assistant academic dean of that same college until 1968.

From 1968 to 1970, Andersen took a sabbatical in Scotland and England. When he returned to the United States in 1970, he moved to Nebraska and took a teaching job at Wayne State College. At
WSC, his commitment to his work made him an excellent teacher, and he flourished here on campus.

“What I remember most about Sayre is that he was probably the most outstanding professor here at Wayne State, not only from the academic standpoint, but how he worked with students, along with his love of academia, and the love of his discipline, and just the overwhelming support of students. He was always a good colleague,” Dr. Ronald Witt said.

In 1999, Andersen received the Balsley-Whitmore Teaching Excellence Award from WSC, so it was clear that other faculty and students noticed his dedication to teaching as well. He may have been focused on teaching, but he would never hesitate to lend a hand to a colleague either.

“The first memory I have of him is how friendly he was towards a person who had just come into campus, who was new, and not very familiar with things,” Dr. Andy Alexander said.

Andersen not only showed compassion towards students and coworkers, but was a peace advocate and humanitarian. He was on the boards of Nebraska Humanities Council, Nebraskans for Peace and the U.S. China People’s Friendship Association. Although Andersen retired in 2000, in 2004 he taught in Wuhan, China, as well.

Though he was always busy, he would always find time for baseball. One thing that he is well known for is being a big fan of the Chicago Cubs.

“He was a long standing fan of the Chicago Cubs, perennial loser, but Sayre was forever convinced that they were going to win,” Alexander said.

“I remember talking baseball with him and how enthusiastic he would be in the spring when baseball season was starting, then how his mood would change over the year, but he would always hold out hope.”

Like with baseball, Andersen lived his life never giving up hope or letting himself get too down, even in the face of cancer. His legacy lives on in the staff and former students with whom he showed such compassion and patience.

“I remember Dr. Andersen as a very engaging professor and dedicated scholar who helped inspire in me a continuing appreciation for American literature and William Faulkner in particular,” professor Stephanie Marcellus said.

He is survived by Bonnie Jean Andersen, wife of 46 years; brother N. Allen Andersen; sons Soren M. Andersen and Seth Sayre Andersen; and step-daughter Christine Hagerbaumer.