WSC graduate returns to teach

Photo By Jamie Sobtoka/

Christopher Holton is a WSC graduate and interim instructor for the art departments, where he teaches design and visual arts experience courses

Seth Miles, Staff Writer

“As a kid I told myself I would be an astronaut, garbage truck man, or a picture maker,” Christopher Holton, interim instructor for the WSC art department, said.

It is obvious that a lot has changed since he was younger.

Holton is now an instructor of the foundation of design and visual arts experience courses.

“The first year of art courses are important in laying the foundation for the students at WSC,” Holton said. “It is rewarding to see the students’ creative work and know that you had a hand in helping guide that process. No matter how often you teach a course like this, you still see new works of art that showcase the originality that these students possess.”

For Holton, teaching is not really a job. It is something he considers to be fun.

“It just made sense for me to make a career out of what some people call a hobby,” Holton said. “I think having a creative spark that the young have has helped guide me to this point in my career.”

Holton lived most of his life in Dubuque, Iowa, then moved to Plainview, Nebraska, his junior year of high school. He moved on to Wayne State College and later graduated in spring of 2010.

While he was a student here at WSC, Holton participated in intramural and club sports. Holton bled black and gold playing rugby for the Wildcats.

“The most rewarding activity without a doubt was playing rugby for four years at WSC,” Holton said.

Holton is a Wildcat through and through, coming back to his alma mater to teach students about what he loves.