Loos, Williams each break WSC softball records

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

The Wildcat softball team has broken three records in the last two weeks.

Junior Lexie Loos broke two records, both runs scored in a season and singles in a season, and senior outfielder Kaiti Williams broke the record for doubles hit in a career.

Loos started playing softball after seeing her brother play baseball, and now she is playing college games and breaking records.

“It felt pretty cool [breaking those records], especially since it happened in the same week,” Loos said.

She had previously been informed that she was close to breaking a record, but she didn’t let this distract her.

“I had an idea of how close I was to the hits record because of [Sports Information Director] Mike Grosz, but I wasn’t really trying to think about it too much once it happened,” Loos said.

Williams has played softball since she was nine, making the first team she tried out for. She followed her brother who had played baseball. She’s been playing softball ever since, and breaking a record her senior year in college certainly isn’t a bad legacy to leave behind.

“Breaking the record was neat. It is the first career record I have broken, so it felt good to reach a milestone,” Williams said.

All of Williams’s hard work is certainly paying off and although this record came as a surprise, she stayed focused on the game.

“I had no idea I had broken it or was even close, so I was really surprised when Mike announced it over the intercom. I honestly was only thinking about scoring so we could beat Washburn. We were behind at the time of the hit and we ended losing that first game, but all I was thinking about at the time was winning,” Williams said.

Determination is one thing the softball team has plenty of, and William feels that the team is a big driving factor.

“My favorite memory I will take with me this year is all the memories I’ve made with my other seniors on the team. The seven of us have played together since freshman year and that is a bond not many people have,” Williams said. “We have been through a lot together and have pushed each other to be better all the time. I know some of them will be lifelong friends.”

Despite some challenges, like Williams moving from left field to right field, and getting a new coach this year, the softball team is gaining momentum.

Williams thought the team struggled in the middle of the season, but believes that the team can keep the new momentum into the conference tournament.