Tau Kappa Epsilon: reinstated after 5 months suspension

Brenden Buskirk, Staff Writer

After a long and hard-fought process by chapter president Matthew Lanik and fellow TKE members, the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity has finally been reinstated.

The suspension of TKE was lifted on April 20. The chapter was suspended December 4, 2014, in response to alleged incidents of dangerous and illegal activities on the chapter property at 814 Nebraska Street.

Lanik and other leaders have worked closely with multiple organizations associated with WSC to develop a plan that would allow the fraternity to be recognized by the college.

“The college’s main concern was the illegal and dangerous activity they referred to when suspending us,” Lanik said. “Greek life as a whole is under a lot of scrutiny around the nation.”

Lanik coordinated with the alumni association, counseling center, WSC Dean of Students Jeff Carstens and TKE international to bring the fraternity back to life.

“I could not be more proud of the resilience of this chapter. I truly believe this situation is a blessing in disguise. It has allowed us to come closer together and refocus our values,” Lanik said.

The reinstatement includes a probationary period for the fraternity to demonstrate its ability to comply with Wayne State College. It will last until January 31, 2016, at which time TKE leaders will meet with WSC officials to discuss the future viability of the fraternity as well as determine the chapter’s progress in their proposed plan.

“While I didn’t agree with the suspension, there was nothing we could do. We just had to move forward,” Lanik said. “All that matters is we are back.”

Now reinstated, one thing TKE plans to do is increase its chapter membership. It needs to in order to become more stable.

“Student Senate gave us quite a bit for allocations next year, something we haven’t gotten in the past,” Lanik said. “It’s nice to have their support.”