Annual Wellness Fair celebrates 15 years

Fair aims to promote healthy living for students

Debbie Hernandez, Staff Writer

If you were peddling with intensity on a stationary bike last Thursday in the hopes of powering a blender to create your perfect strawberry smoothie, then chances are you were at Wayne State’s annual Wellness Fair.

The wellness day extravaganza took place in the Frey Conference Suite on Friday, April 23, and offered students and community members the chance to see what Wayne has to offer in the health and wellness area.

“In my opinion, I think the fair benefits the students and faculty because it educates them on the different dimensions of wellness, that being physical, spiritual, interpersonal, and so on,” Wellness Fair organizer Paul McCawley said.

This 15-year-old event was put on by McCawley’s PED 310 Professional Leadership & Development class, partnering with WSC service learning and WSC SHAPE club.

“As a class, we sat down and looked at all the potential organizations that affected the six dimensions of wellness in the area.  When we decided this, we then sent out invitations/letters,” McCawley said.

Aside from tables, games and challenges, the wellness fair also gave students the chance to win prizes provided by WSC SHAPE club.

Junior Ariana Castanon took part in the fair through her professional leadership class for exercise science majors and commented that she really liked the spinal screening that was being promoted.

“It really showed how much muscle tension I had. I knew I was tense, but didn’t know I would be that tense,” Castanon said. “As I spoke to everyone who did that screening, they also had really bad muscle tension.”

Overall, the Wellness Fair continued to promote healthy lifestyles and the importance of taking care of yourself.

“I think when you’re taking care of yourself and being aware of your health is when you’re the happiest,” Castanon said. “So it’s safe to assume that that’s what people want for themselves; to feel good overall.”