The choice should be the students’

Tess Riecke for the Wayne Stater, Staff Writer

Paying for school is already expensive. Between tuition and room and board, you would think the school would stop taking your money.

Not quite.

There are still student fees to pay for. Most of these include paying for the rec center, library services and tutoring services, just to name a few.

This year, student fees are also paying for something a little extra. Roughly $65,000 extra to be exact. The spring concert featuring Dustin Lynch performing Friday night in Rice Auditorium.

The issue is not the choice of artist, but rather the fact that students who don’t like country music and don’t want to go are paying for the concert, too.

No one should be forced to pay for a student activity that they won’t even attend.

Granted, not everyone goes to the movies or other activities that S.A.B hosts. However, the movies don’t cost as much as a concert does.

Instead of taking money away from students who don’t want to go, why not just charge for the tickets?

If as many people are truly going to the concert as the S.A.B estimates, then the concert will break even and potentially make a little more money.

Students should have a choice of where their money goes in these types of situations. If someone doesn’t want to pay for a concert they aren’t going to attend, then they shouldn’t have to.

Sell tickets, t-shirts, food and other merchandise to pay for the concert instead of making everyone pay.

There are plenty of students who could find better uses for the money that is being spent on the concert.