‘Step Against Stigma’

Active Minds club hopes to raise awarness of mental illness

Melissa Norris, Staff Writer

One out of every four people has a mental illness.

Here to raise awareness and fight the stigmas associated with mental illness is Active Minds, a new student-led organization on campus.

“Active Minds is a national organization dedicated to raising mental health awareness and educating others on the signs and symptoms of mental illness. This is our inaugural year [on campus],” Vice-President Stephanie Whitlow said.

In addition to raising mental health awareness, they also raise funds for mental health education, promote positive mental health, as well as encourage students to seek help when needed.

This Saturday, Active Minds will host “Step Against Stigma,” a mile-and-a-half walk to reach out to both the campus and community to make mental health a topic that is not stigmatized, but one that can be discussed freely.

“We decided to do Step Against Stigma because a walk is a great way to get our message out to, not only campus, but the community as a whole.

It allows people to come together and show support for mental health awareness and those suffering with mental illness,” Whitlow said.

The walk will begin at the Willow Bowl and trek through town for several blocks before ending back at the starting point.

Luminaries will be displayed as a reminder of those who have suffered or are suffering from a mental disorder.

Groups, as well as individuals, are encouraged to come and walk together with signs showing their support of the cause.

Check in is at 4 p.m. in the Willow Bowl. Preregister on Facebook at “Active Minds at Wayne State College” or email [email protected] for the sign-up page.

Upon signing up for the walk, students can order an Active Minds T-shirt for $10.