‘People came in and made the magic happen’

Justin Yost

Neil Harrison read some of his poetry at the WSC Writing Club’s 2nd annual English Festival.

Melissa Norris, Staff Writer

Read. Write. Create.

The 2nd Annual English Festival, hosted by the WSC Writing Club, took place on April 1 and was a resounding success. Over 40 people enjoyed the poetry, art, contests, food and fun.

So much, in fact, that some even stayed after the event was over to hang out and chat with their fellow English lovers.

At the beginning of the festival, attendees had the opportunity to check out all the different stations set up around the room. There was a typewriter station, a writing prompt contest and a popular art/crafting station.

“We had a great big table with art supplies with a note that said, ‘Create something and take it home.’ It was set up to be open to interpretation. People came in and made the magic happen,” WSC Writing Club’s founder and president, Stephanie Hempel, said.

The writing contest had 10-15 entries. Participants were given a writing prompt and the length of the festival to write. However, it didn’t take WSC’s talented students more than 10 minutes to finish their creative work.

“We have a meeting this Wednesday and will pick a winner then, and [the contest winner] will be published in the Stater so they can get their deserved glory,” Hempel said.

The winning story will be published in either next week’s Wayne Stater or on the Wayne Stater website.

The guest reader, poet Neil Harrison, kept the crowd entertained and several attendees commented on how great it was to hear him read his work.

In addition to the reading, the competition and crafts, an open mic also took place.

About 10-15 brave souls read during the open mic.

But it wasn’t all poetry and fiction. The open mic was for anyone who had something to share.

“One girl performed a monologue from ‘School of Rock.’ She said, ‘I’m not a writer, I’m not a poet, but I memorized this for theatre…’ It was really good,” Hempel said.

Many people worked hard to make this year’s festival a successful one. The WSC Writing Club would like to thank its advisor, Dr. Stephanie Marcellus, for helping with every step of the process, Sigma Tau Delta for providing a bake sale/T-shirt sale at the event, Dean of Arts and Humanities Steve Elliot for always being a big supporter of these events and the WSC Press and Chad Christensen for bringing over books to sell and helping with marketing materials.

Missed the English Festival?

On April 29, there will be a Judas Goat Release Party, and on April 30 the Lucky 13 Fiction Slam will be held at the Max.