Feline Feelings and Modern Musings: Searching for pride in the pridelands

Tiffinie Randall, Staff Writer

It’s pretty difficult to go an entire day without encountering some sort of social stigma, regardless of who or where you are. Seems silly, right? It’d be nice if we could spend our days free from the stereotypical impressions common to people meeting and understanding one another only briefly. I’d be a liar if I said I was any better, or worse, at avoiding those nasty little thoughts of negativity towards someone for a superficial difference between us; and by way of karma, unfortunate timing, or ironic coincidence, I received a surprising reminder of just how much those judgements can sting. I was driving home earlier this March from an afternoon of classes with the radio chattering in the background when I caught a few words about upcoming tournaments in town.

The March Madness rugby tournament hosted by the WSC Men’s and Women’s Rugby Club and their sponsors were being discussed and the conversation shifted towards the players. The description that was given detailed female ruggers as rather large creatures, looming and drooling and snarling, ready to snatch and feast upon your children in a moment’s notice, if not also your wife. It was followed with the warning for listeners to lock their doors and board their windows due to the incoming threat of rugby players that weekend.

Cats, I play rugby. I’m 5’6, a whopping 140lbs, and I prefer men (but that’s not a knock to ladies who don’t!) I’m not much different that my teammates in stature or demeanor, though some might say otherwise, and the girls who do differ from me don’t even come close to the ghoulish image in the heads of our broadcasting peers.

My heart deflated. Is this what the public thinks of us? Grotesque? Something to be feared or avoided? As a member of the club, I know personally how much pride each of us finds in representing not only our college, but our community as a whole.

I know the puff in each chest that grows bigger with every team we welcome to our pride lands year after year. So why weren’t our peers proud with us? Didn’t we share the same home?
As I pondered what made us so different from the rest, I realized we aren’t. I mean, yes, ruggers are a special breed, I’ll give you that. We’re rowdy and loud and maybe a bit growlier than most. But we aren’t the only group continually defined by opinions of people who don’t understand us.

All of the groups on campus have more than likely received a depiction they didn’t particularly enjoy. So what’s the solution? Find your pride! Support every group on campus, gain a sense of community towards your schoolmates.

Stop caring if someone’s interests are strange and unusual. Start caring about who they are and define them as they truly should be: a Wildcat, just like you, struggling in the same math class and growing tired of the pizza from the Gag (if that’s even possible,) full of the same hope and aspiration to stand, probably right next to you, at graduation.