Come on down

Lauren davis

WSC student Bridget Hansen receives her prize of cheeseballs from host Keith Kirkland.

Brenden Buskirk, Staff Writer

Prizes were flying around left and right on Monday night.

Everything from a coffee maker, DVD player, remote control car, Bluetooth speaker, cash and even $50 and $100 gift cards were up for grabs as prizes.

Put on by SAB, contestants competed in “The Deal Is Right,” a high-paced, high-energy game show that is a blend of two classic TV game shows: “The Price is Right” and “Let’s Make A Deal.”

Four names are drawn and those contestants come up on stage to bid on an item. The person closest to the actual price without going over wins the prize and the chance to play a game for a bigger prize. Everyone that was called up on stage walked away with a prize.

Keith Karkut, a traveling game show host and hypnotist, hosted the event. The reason he decided to get into the game show business was because of the praiseworthy feedback he received from the schools he performed his hypnotism show, Hypnotic Intoxication.

“I’ve been doing games and activities my whole career. I’m actually a hypnotist, when we do those shows for colleges we usually get more business. We’ve been doing this gameshow for over 10 years,” Karkut said. “Tomorrow, I’ll be in Michigan, Friday in Boston. We travel all around the U.S.”

Observers and participants enjoyed a lot of laughs, good music and great prizes.

At the end of the night, the top winners from the evening had a chance to trade in what they won for a chance at something even bigger. They were given the choice of several curtains, not knowing what was inside. Karkut attempted to wheel and deal to give them the chance at perhaps something even better than what was behind their curtain, adding prizes in suitcases, his pockets and random boxes.

When asked about his thoughts on Nebraska, he responded, “The participants here were a blast. We have been to 46 states now and this was my first time in Nebraska. They call this the Cornhusker state, right? Now I know why.”

Although nobody took home the $40 cash, $50 and $100 Wal-Mart gift cards, everybody won something.