‘Giving students the chance to find work’

Matt Lanik, Staff Writer

A lot of work is put into giving students the chance to find work.

Career Services sponsored the career fair which took place on March 25, in the student center from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Wayne State College students were encouraged to talk to a variety of employers about potential internships and full-time jobs. Various graduate schools also sent representatives to the event.

The event, which takes place once a semester, had 82 organizations bring representatives to talk to students, according to Heather Reinhardt, Career Services Specialist. She estimated that 300 students participated in the career fair this spring.

Students had the chance to pre-register for the event. If they did, they were provided with a printed name badge that included their major. Students also had access to a profile book, which listed what each company is looking for.

“Almost every table I stopped and talked to had a list of a handful or more of students they planned to follow up with,” Reinhardt said.

Students are encouraged to follow up with employers instead of waiting to be contacted.

“Thank them for their time, say ‘I’m very interested in your opportunities there,’” Reinhardt said. She even suggested adding your résumé again.

Not sure if your résumé is up to par?

Bring it to Career Services.

“There are lots of resources,” Reinhardt said. “That is one of the most important things our office can offer, is to have someone look at their résumé.”

Best part? It’s free.

Career Services also offers free mock interviews. Students just need to stop by the office to set up times.

“Usually, every semester we have a list of schedules up front,” Reinhardt said.

Most mock interviews are done by real employers.

“We’ve had students get jobs out of mock interviews before,” Reinhardt said.

Reinhardt encouraged underclassmen to attend in the future, not just upperclassmen. She states this because a lot of organizations send the same representatives each year, and she says it’s possible to make an impression.

“I talked to a gal from the Nebraska State Patrol who said she has talked to a student for three straight years and that she is ‘so impressed with her,’” Reinhardt said.

First impressions are important, according to Jen Fuchtman, Director of Recruitment for Northwestern Mutual in Norfolk. She has been attending career fairs since 2008.

First impressions are sometimes made before any conversation has started.

“I first look at how a student comes dressed, how they present themselves,” Fuchtman said. “That’s a big part that any employer looks at.”

If planning to attend the career fair next fall, it might be worth it to borrow your dad’s suit, if you don’t have your own.

“It just shows a level of seriousness and professionalism on their end,” Fuchtman said.