Ackerman in walkoff fashion

Marcel Dunson, Staff Writer

With a hot hand at the bat the past few weeks, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nathan Ackerman challenges the WSC homerun record.

Ackerman, the junior slugger who graduated from Langley School in British Columbia, slammed three homeruns in the Wildcats’ four games last weekend.

In the Northern Sun Conference’s home opener against Minot State, Ackerman was 3-5 with 3 RBI’S on the day, including a walk-off home run.

Ackerman helped his high school team win the provincial championship his senior year in Canada.

Before WSC, Ackerman played at Southern Idaho Community College. He had an outstanding year in 2013 at Southern Idaho, batting .295 average and 29 RBI’S (the highest on the team).

On Sunday, Ackerman came back and had another great day at the plate, hitting a homerun in each of the games. The first game he went two for four with a homerun and four RBI’S. WSC won the game 10-4. The second game he went two for four with a homerun and three RBI’S. WSC swept Minot State, winning the last game 14-2.

Ackerman is leading the team in home runs with five so far this year. That was his total all last season at Southern Idaho and WSC still has 33 games left to play.

He is also leading the team with 19 RBI’S, which is 10 shy of his personal record.

Eric Bond holds the WSC homerun record with 19 homeruns in a single season in 2009.

WSC hosts Northern State University Saturday in another Northern Sun Conference matchup.