New place, same ‘literal’ fun

Second-annual English Festival to be held in Elkhorn and Niobrara rooms

Melissa Norris, Staff Writer

ords. Words. Words.

Never fear, WSC English lovers! The second annual English Festival will still happen, just in a different location.

Due to some scheduling conflicts for the Frey conference suite, the English Festival, hosted by the WSC Writing Club, will now be held April 1 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Elkhorn and Niobrara rooms in the Student Center, across from the upper cafeteria.

“Everyone should attend, we have an open mic, typewriter poetry, black-out poetry, a graffiti wall, games and a book table booth,” WSC Writing Club founder and president Stephanie Hempel said.

Not only will the night be filled with poetry and fun, but the English Festival will have even more for those who wish to attend; a fundraiser for the Interfaith Group, a Sigma Tau Delta bake sale and T-shirt sale, crafts, an open mic and a poetry reading.

The reading, featuring poet Neil Harrison, will take place from 7:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. and the open mic will be from 8 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The WSC Writing Club will also judge a writing contest. Students will be given writing prompts and a time limit to complete a short work, the writing club will vote and the winner will be published in the Wayne Stater.

There will also be a book swap, so interested students should bring books to trade.

The English Festival is a way for the small but mighty crowd of writing and literature fans to share what they love, as well as raise awareness to their programs, clubs and interests.

“I didn’t know about the festival last year, so I’m really excited to attend this year,” senior English Literature/Creative Writing major Dirk Schnoes said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun and I’m really excited to be involved.”