Rugby seniors fight for one more chance at glory

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

The rugby team has been working hard this year to hold onto their reputation as a nationally-ranked team.

This year there are three seniors on the rugby team: Alesha Rosberg, Bobby Johnson and Jonathan DeRocha.

Rosberg is the only Lady Wildcat senior rugby player this year, and she has played all four years here at WSC.

She fondly remembers her years in rugby and recalls why she went out for the sport in the first place.

“I tried out for rugby because of our Coach Darrin Barner. He pulled me over during the student activities fair and told me how great it would be, so I thought I’d give it a try,” Rosberg said.

Rosberg has learned skills like leadership while playing rugby, and she has made many lasting friendships that have made an impact on her life.

“I enjoy the people that I have met playing rugby. The whole atmosphere is like a family. I also really love to win and I’m very fortunate to have such great teammates who make that a reality,” Rosberg said.

Senior Johnson is the only transfer among the three, and he has been playing rugby all three years since he’s arrived at WSC.

“I was a transfer student and I didn’t know very many people. My love for sports and competition led me to start playing rugby,” Johnson said.

Johnson stressed the importance of teamwork, and also made a point in mentioning how important the other players are.

“The comradery on and off the field is what I value the most. Teammates turned into friends, friends turned into family. The relationships built through rugby will last a lifetime,” Johnson said.

DeRocha is currently a rugby captain who has played rugby all four years.

“I always wanted to be a college athlete so I took the opportunity,” DeRocha said.

DeRocha mentioned that rugby helped him not only grow as a person, but also in becoming a better teammate.

“I love the team aspect of rugby. It’s the best team I’ve ever been on. They’re all my brothers and will be my brothers for life,” DeRocha said.

These three seniors have different backgrounds and different paths planned out looking forward, but rugby has impacted their lives in a big way.

After being on a rugby team, these seniors are ready to face whatever challenges come their way.