Tying up loose ends before May

Seniors had opportunity to prepare for graduation

Chequila+Cunningham+adds+her+name+to+Wayne+States+alumni+list.+She+is+graduating+on+Saturday%2C+May+9.+

Erika Schwartz

Chequila Cunningham adds her name to Wayne State’s alumni list. She is graduating on Saturday, May 9.

Matt Lanik, Staff Writer

Spring is in the air, which can only mean one thing. Graduation is
approaching.

Luckily students were given a chance to prepare before they left for spring break.

The Grad Finale took place on March 5 and March 6 to assist graduating seniors in tying up any loose ends before attaining their degrees in May.

Jason Barelman, Director of Career Services at Wayne State College, oversaw the event.

“I think it was very successful,” Barelman said. According to her, 304 out of a possible 446 graduating seniors showed up for the event, which took place in the WSC Student Center Atrium.

Seniors were presented the opportunity to speak with many offices at WSC, including student-financial services and Career Services. Student-financial services gave students the chance to set up the required “exit interview.” They also gave some seniors a nice bill.

“It was kind of heart-breaking. I already knew I had it, but getting that letter was another reminder I didn’t need before graduating,” said communication studies major Lauren Cantrell.

Besides the bill?

“Efficient and effective,” Cantrell said. “I liked how it was laid out, everything was planned out for all of us to get everything done before graduating.”

One booth at the event gave students information on the various graduate programs at WSC.

“Students didn’t realize we have our MBA (Master’s in Business Administration) programs completely online,” Barelman said. “There were a lot of questions about the new master’s program in education.”

The Grad Finale let students sign up for their caps and gowns through Jostens. If students missed their chance to order their caps and gowns, it’s not too late.

“What I do is figure out how many students didn’t get an order placed, and then make a bulk older based on that number,” said Tim Barnes, store manager for the on-campus book store.

Students who missed the chance to order their caps and gowns from Jostens then have the opportunity to contact the on-campus bookstore to receive one.

“I try to accommodate students as much as possible,” Barnes said. Even students who change their mind late about walking have the opportunity to approach Barnes at the last minute.

“That’s why I get extras,” Barnes said. “It might not be the exact height you need, but I never really tell students ‘it’s too late.’”

Orders for caps and gowns come in on April 20. Students can contact the on-campus book store at (402) 375-7099.