Former NFL coach joins WSC Rugby

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Former NFL coach Dennis Danielson has joined the Wildcats this spring semester to help coach the rugby team.

Danielson has over 30 years of coaching experience between Europe and the U.S., and this is not the first time Danielson has been to Wayne. He graduated from Wayne State with a master’s degree, and was later a football coach for the Wildcats from 1982-1988.

In fact, rugby coach Darrin Barner remembers Danielson as a coach when Barner played football in college. Danielson was part of the WSC “Dream Team” from 1984-1985. He worked with people like Mike Breske and Rich Bisaccia, who has a super bowl ring with both Tampa Bay and the Dallas Cowboys.

“To have three coaches that would advance and have two in the NFL, and another Division I, is simply unbelievable. Coach Danielson was a guy that the team simply played for and would sell their souls for. He coached from the heart,” Barner said.

Barner is now happy to be working with him for the rugby team. Danielson also played rugby in college, but he says the game has changed a lot since then. For instance now the rugby team is playing “sevens” (there are seven players on the field from one team compared to the usual 15). Danielson played before that change was made.

“I’m doing a lot of learning. Darrin is doing a good job and I’m learning a lot from him,” Danielson said.

Danielson explained how they’re reviewing lots of video and the team is working hard.

Although football and rugby are drastically different games, Danielson has found a way to transition his coaching styles between the two sports.

“I’m kind of a hands on coach. Technique is important, and I try to be positive. Push the players to be the best they can be,” Danielson said.

The team practices twice a week and Danielson brings with him his coaching technique as well as his years of experience as a highly successful football coach.

“We’ll start outdoor practice after spring break. And on a positive note, we should make the elite eight this year,” Barner said.

Barner has been doing well before, leading a nationally-ranked team, and now adding former NFL Coach Danielson can only make things better. These two leaders of the game are working together, and the Wildcats can surely see this as a good sign of things to come.

There are still some spots open on the rugby team for any Wildcats who want to play. If interested text (402) 316-0100 or e-mail [email protected].