New show coming soon to Planetarium

Debbie Hernandez, Staff Writer

Remember when you were a kid and you dreamed about riding the magic school bus through someone’s nostrils, while Ms. Frizzle guided you through the best class learning experience imaginable?

Well that dream isn’t far from reality at Wayne State’s Fred G. Dale Planetarium, with our very own version of The Frizz, Dr. Todd Young, planetarium director and a physics/astronomy professor.

“I’m going to sit you down on a seat and set you on a ride through the galaxy or trip through the nano world,” Young said. “I can take you anywhere.”

Coming soon to WSC’s Planetarium is the show, “Nanocam: A trip into Biodiversity,” a show that features the tiniest of creatures in different kingdoms of the biological world. You’ll be flying through the eye of a needle, dodging life-size bacteria and coming face to face with dust mites.

“The new show will also complement a traveling museum exhibit about the nano world that will be featured in our Natural History Museum on the first floor of Carhart,” Young said.

The Nanocam show will premier this Friday at 7:30 p.m. and will continue on every Friday up until the first week of May, alongside its complementary exhibit in Carhart.

“I’m educating people via a sucker punch. They’re learning about something, not even realizing it, because they are so entertained,” Young said. “If anyone is interested in what the very small looks like, this is your show and exhibit.”

For upcoming planetarium shows, visit wsc.edu/Planetarium.