Wildcats ready for conference championships

WSC track & field compete well at final open before the NSIC meet

Photo courtesy of Marlon Brink

Nathan Lechtenberg finishes the 60 meter hurdles in a time of 8.77 seconds.

Caitlin Fehringer, Staff Writer

WSC throwers continued to shine in their last open meet held at USD. Three NCAA provisional marks and four personal records by the throwers led the Wildcats’ womens track team.

Sara Wells, Shandan Platt, Kyndra Sturm and Michaela Dendinger finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively in the weight throw Friday night.

Wells finishes first with the toss of 58’7 ¼”.

Platte follows in second at 58’0″ and Sturm collects third with the mark of 57’9″. All were personal bests and provisional marks.

Dendinger took fourth at 57’4 ½”, while redshirt freshman Tessa Ives came in ninth with a personal record (47’ 6 ½”).

“The main thing I’m expecting these girls to do at conference is compete hard,” coach Brett Suckstorf said. “With this meet being a tune up for conference, the girls only competed in the events they needed a better mark in.”

Platt also picked herself up a second place finish in the shot put at 46’ 6 ¾”.

“With a PR in the weight and a good mark in the shot put it sets me up to place high at the conference meet,” Platte said. “It also allows me to get good marks at conference to move me up on the nationals list.”

The WSC men’s team was led by Nick Schmit at the USD invite. Schmit placed second in the 1,000 meter run with the time of 2:38.81.

Nathan Lechtenberg finished fourth in the 60 meter hurdles in 8.77 seconds, which was also a personal best.

Other top performances included fifth place finishes by Bryan Dunn in the weight throw (53’ 8 ½”) and Joey Black in the 3,000 meter run with the time of 9:58.66.

Kole Heller took sixth in the 200 with a personal best of 23.21 seconds.

The WSC women’s and men’s team also sent athletes to the Nebraska Tuneup Open in Lincoln.

For the women, the 4 x 400 meter relay team of Mary Alderson, Kelsey Dietrich, Elizabeth Pille and Rebecca Davenport came in 10th place with a time of 4:04.92.

For the men, redshirt freshman Braxton Adams led the Wildcats with a top performance in the 60 meter dash, placing third with a time of 6.87 seconds.

“I was pleased with my performance in the last meet before conference,” Adams said. “With conference this weekend my expectations are high, hoping to place and score some points for my team.”

Senior Zach Thomsen warmed up with a finish of 10th in the 800 meter run.

William Ernst finished 11th in the 200 meter dash at 22.35 seconds and senior Jared Balady was 12th in the 600 meter run with the time of 1:23.88.

“We have several athletes that have an opportunity to capture NSIC All-Conference honors,” head coach Marlon Brink said. “Teamwise our goal is to place in the top half, if possible. This is a huge task considering we rank in the bottom fourth of the league in terms of squad size and scholarships.”

Wayne State will compete in the Northern Sun Conference Indoor Championships Thursday and Friday in Mankato, Minn.

Athletes that compete well enough will move on to Nationals over spring break in Birmingham, Ala.