Exciting start for WSC baseball

Wildcats start the season with a 2-2 record

Robbie Androyna, Staff Writer

The Wildcats came up clutch late in the first game of the doubleheader against Newman University in Wichita last weekend.

It took until the final inning of the first game for the Wildcats to strike, but when they, did they struck hard.

The ‘Cats scored all five of their runs in the top of the final inning to take the 5-3 victory over Newman University. During that first seven-inning game, the Wildcats had a crazy seventh inning, including 5 runs, 5 hits, and 1 left stranded on base.

Redshirt freshman Clete Yount and true freshman Tanner Simons, started off the top of the seventh by reaching base. Yount with a double and Simons with a single.

The Wildcats were off to a strong start with two men on base, but there were no runs. But senior catcher Kevin Anderson ripped a single down the left side to score the first run for the Wildcats.

Then junior centerfielder Curtis Bussard hit a single to bring in Simons and Anderson, which tied the game at 3 apiece. Jake Bruner scored the go-a-head run on a wild pitch and third baseman Michael Herman singled to score the final and fifth run for the Wildcats in dramatic fashion late in the game.

Simons finished the game 3 for 3 with a double and a run score to lead the Wildcats to their first win of the season.

Wildcats starting pitcher Dylan McGill threw a little over five innings, allowing two earned runs and five strikeouts. Sophomore Kyle Kennebeck came in relief and recorded the win for the Wildcats, while Ryan Zweck came in the seventh to record the save.

The second game didn’t go very well for the Wildcats, who suffered a 14-3 loss.

The Wildcats were held to five hits total. Junior transfer Nathan Ackerman doubled twice to lead WSC at the plate.

Bussard suffered the loss, giving up 6 runs in 3 innings, with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks.

The Wildcats are scheduled to play non-conference doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday in Rolla, Mo., against Missouri Science & Technology at 12 p.m. both days.