Two of Wayne State’s best on the same team

Marcel Dunson, Staff Writer

Senior Ashton Yossi and Jordan Spencer combined for 42 points Friday night against Minot State.

Not only did they go on a scoring spree and win their ninth straight game, but the dynamic duo made history.

Yossi led the Lady Wildcats with 22 points, which moved her to 9th all-time on the WSC scoring list with 1,290 points, maneuvering past Mary Schnitzler and Amy Bodersen Riggs.

“They have put a lot of trust in me and believed in me,” Yossi said.

She’s led the team in 3 pointers made for the last two years and started in every game since the end of her true freshman year.

Teammate Jordan Spencer trailed her Friday night with 20 points, bumping her to tenth all-time on the WSC scoring list.

“She is a dominate player inside and when she does I will be happy for her,” Yossi said.

Spencer’s 20-point outing against Minot St. marked her seventh 20-point game of the season, third most in the Northern Sun Conference.

“Individual awards are nice and all, but the big picture is winning championships, which mean a lot more to me,” Spencer said.

Ever since the duo stepped foot in Wayne America, the program has been nothing but pure success. The Lady Wildcats have an overall record of 93-21, with Spencer and Yossi leading the way scoring.

“Coach K is good at finding plays that fit us,” Spencer said. “We have plays that allow us to free up Ashton to shoot the three and plays for me to post up or penetrate from the high post.”

The Wildcats host Moorhead Friday night, trying to increase their winning streak to 11 games.