Drafting and Design Club holds fundraiser to support new campus services

The Drafting and Design Club is hosting their Yardstick and Ruler Fundraiser from April 2-10 to raise money for club supplies.  

The group started as a social club aiming to learn more about opportunities in the workforce for drafting majors. This club has mostly information and technology students ranging from drafting and design, construction management, skilled and technical sciences education, engineering technology and manufacturing management. There are interior design students and others from various departments as well.  

Autumn Bender, a double major in construction management and drafting and design, is the current president of the club.  

“The Yardstick and Ruler Fundraiser profits will help buy Cricut supplies to hopefully branch out and create T-shirts for other clubs besides us on campus, along with other fundraiser projects,” Bender said. “The Yardsticks and Rulers were designed and approved by members in the club where we also manufactured them.” 

This is a unique fundraiser Bender came up with and shared with the club.  

“I had this idea after my internship supervisor told me she collected old yardsticks from businesses in and around Humphrey back in the 80’s and I thought it would be fun to make some,” Bender said.  

The club not only makes yardsticks and rulers but can engrave them with their CNC machine. Bender feels this fundraiser is showing who they are as a club.  

“A lot of thought goes into designing and manufacturing these,” Bender said. “It also is a good opportunity for our members to have this field experience on these machines that do not always get used for projects.”  

Going forward, Bender wants people to know the club is more than just drafting.  

“This club is a supportive system, and college is all about connections,” Bender said. “Having these personal connections and finding skills you’re good at can open lots of doors for the future.” 

The drafting and design club is hoping for community support because the group’s projects are a great opportunity that benefits multiple groups on campus. Also, supporters walk away with a yardstick or ruler that can be used in future classrooms by education majors or kept as a souvenir from WSC. 

The Yardstick and Ruler Fundraiser extends through April 12. To find out more about the club or the fundraiser contact Autumn Bender at [email protected] or go to www.wsc.edu