Communication Day to bring together alumni, students for career advice panel

Communication Day will be hosted in the Humanities Lounge on the second floor of the Wayne State College Humanities Building on March 14, 2024. 

The Communication Arts Department and WSC’s Lambda Pi Eta chapter have organized a Q&A panel to help students explore and celebrate the many opportunities the WSC Communication Arts Department offers.  

“We will actually be having past alumni come back and talk kind of about what they’re doing with their major now,” Collin Hain, president of the WSC Lambda Pi Eta chapter, said.  

Hain said Pat Janssen, a lecturer for the Communications Arts Department at WSC, will be one member of the panel. The Q&A is designed to allow attendees to ask pressing questions they have about what opportunities exist out in the world for communications majors. The panel will begin at 3:15 p.m.  

The Q&A is not the only event happening in what is shaping up to be Communication Week rather than Communication Day. The public relations table event was held on Monday, March 11, in the Kanter Student Center. Hain said other tablings will be happening in the Kanter Student Center throughout the week, including film and sports media.  

Hain said he contacted the different programs of study under the Communication Arts Department such as drama, radio, sports media and public relations to see what they want to put on this week.  

“I can have all the ideas in the world, but…if they don’t want to do it, then there’s no point,” Hain said.  

The sports media program had a specific idea to highlight their unique program of study. 

“They thought, ‘What if we did a live rendition of the Cat Talk podcast?’” Hain said. “I hope people will walk by and see what the sports media major is all about.” 

This week of communication celebration will come to a close on Friday, March 15, with World Speech Day. Multiple activities will be available to students in the Kanter Student Center, including the opportunity to speak on personal beliefs or ideas between 10:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.  

For more information on World Speech Day, students can contact Teresa Morales or Allyn Lueders, professor of communications and chair of the Communication Arts Department at WSC. 

$100
$500