Beavers Sweep Wildcats

The Wayne State Men’s and Women’s basketball teams both lost to visiting Minot Sate Beavers in close games last Saturday, Jan. 27. 

The women’s team came into Saturday looking to gather more conference wins before the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference tournament, as the Wildcats sat at just 2-11 in NSIC play. Minot State, coming off a big win against Augustana two days prior, came into Rice Auditorium with a conference record of 4-9 on the season. After the first quarter, WSC had a narrow edge over Minot, 12-10. However, a 16-point second quarter for the Beavers would tie the game up at 26 apiece at halftime.  

WSC once again regained the lead by a lone point heading into the fourth quarter. However, the fourth quarter would prove to be incredibly close-knit, and Minot State once again tied up the score at the end of regulation. It was in overtime where the Beavers would outlast the hometown Wildcats, 73-70.  

Leading the way for the Wildcats was Britney Ho, who ended the game with 28 points and five rebounds. Tate Norblade provided points off the bench, adding 11, as well as six rebounds. Both Brooklyn Kruse and Delaney Clark had six points and Maya Fitzpatrick had a pair of steals. 

On the men’s side, the Wildcats hosted a Minot State team that was nationally ranked at 16th in Division II. The Beavers have had a strong season thus far, coming into Saturday’s contest with a 10-3 mark in NSIC play. The Wildcats came in with a 5-8 conference record. The first half was very tightly contested, with the Wildcats and Beavers heading into halftime tied at 32. It was in the second half were Minot State started to pull away, compiling 39 points to the Wildcats’ 28. WSC fell to the Beavers 71-60, making their record 5-9 in conference and 12-9 overall.  

The Wildcats had a trio of players score double digits, with Alec Millender, Trey Deveaux and David Harmon getting 12 each. JJ Ferrin shot made a pair of three pointers and a handful of free throws, adding nine points to the Wildcats’ total. Elijah Watson nabbed six rebounds, with Trey Deveaux getting four himself. Jay Saunders, Harmon and Ferrin all had three. 

The Wildcats will be back in action against Concordia-St. Paul on Friday, Feb. 2 and Minnesota Duluth on Saturday, Feb. 3. Both games will be at home, starting with the women’s followed by the men’s.  

$100
$500