Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Students invited to give gifts to survivors of abuse

The STRIVE office and the Student Activities Board are collaborating to encourage students, faculty and staff donate to three survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault through Dec. 4. 

“Each of the survivors provided their age, gender and favorite colors before each asked for what they wanted,” Eva Olson, who runs the STRIVE office, said. “There were their needs, which included things like clothing, winter coats and other necessities, and then their wants. That involved some more items that maybe they don’t necessarily need, but they certainly need in their life.” 

A Christmas tree with ornaments displaying wish list items written on paper has been up for two weeks in front of the student activities office, but not all the ornaments have been claimed yet. 

We still have quite a few items up for grabs on our tree, and we would love to have all of those items donated for our survivors so that they don’t feel as if they’re missing out on Christmas or the holidays,” Olson said. “We’ve kind of publicized it as far as we can on the office end, so now it’s really up to those who are on campus all the time to take that initiative and decide to help.” 

The donation tree will be open until Dec. 4, and people unable to stop by the tree but would like to donate may email Olson at [email protected] for the list of items still available to donate. 

There are also other ways for students who cannot donate items to show support. 

“One big way that students can still help and take a stand against domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment and stalking is by participating in the events that we have coming up for the 16 Days of Social Awareness,” Olson said. Every donation we get from the Adopt a Survivor event will come unwrapped, and students will have the opportunity to wrap those donations as well as make other crafts, eat snacks and learn more at our event on Dec. 5 called Deck the Halls Orange.” 

Olson said gifts will be accepted at the Deck the Halls Orange event, but it would be better to bring the donated gifts by Dec. 4. 

“Adopt a Survivor is a great way for students, faculty and staff on campus to really take a stand and engage in a form of activism that stands up to DVSAS,” Olson said. 

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.