Majestic Theatre helps keep cinema alive

The Majestic Theatre ,an inexpensive place to find good entertainment in Wayne, is open Thursday through Sunday.  

Wayne State College students are able to get four free tickets per semester to The Majestic Theatre from the Student Activities Office.  

Jason Barelman said the Majestic shows a wide variety of current movies. Some of the art or indie films The Majestic shows lose money, but Barelman thinks it is important to show them. 

“The kids movies and superhero movies tend to make the most money because people spend more at the concession stand than other movies,” Barelman said.  

It is challenging to fit all the movies in because The Majestic only has one screen, and many studios require the theatre to keep a movie for two weeks if they have it for opening weekend. Disney sometimes requires three weeks, and the Taylor Swift concert would have required four weeks which is why The Majestic did not get the Taylor Swift concert.  

Mike White, film professor at WSC, said movie theatres are an important draw for communities and a place where communities can gather.    

The website for The Majestic states the theatre opened in 1929 as The Gay Theatre changing names, owners, and decor over the years. It closed its doors in April 2009, but the community thought having a theatre in town was so important that they raised funds to renovate and reopen the theatre. The town voted on a new name, and The Majestic theatre opened in December 2010.  

“The big screen is just a really great place to see movies! It’s not just a movie it’s an experience,” Barelman said. 

Upcoming movies at The Majestic are “Trolls Band Together” opening on November 17 and “Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” opening on December 1. Regular ticket prices are $5. 

$100
$500