Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Men’s Basketball opens season in Puerto Rico Clasico

The Wayne State College men’s basketball team starts their 2023-2024 season as they travel to Puerto Rico to take on three Puerto Rican universities. 

From Friday, Nov. 10 to Sunday, Nov. 12, the Wildcats will be competing in the Puerto Rico Clasico. The team will be matching up with Sagrado Corazon, Puerto Rico Carolina and Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico for the first three games of the regular season. Sagrado Corazon was a participant in last year’s event, matching up with Holy Family University. 

This event kicks off the 2023 season for WSC. The Wildcats were picked to finish 11th in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference in the preseason coaches’ poll after an 18-11 overall record last year, with a 13-9 record in NSIC play, finishing as co-champions of the NSIC South Division. This team is fresh off its scrimmage in Omaha against the Creighton Bluejays and are looking ahead to the upcoming season. 

Many familiar faces are leaving this Wildcat program, including all-time leading scorer in school history Jordan Janssen, Nate Mohr and Nick Ferrarini due to graduation. Another former starter for WSC in Justin Eagins transferred to Minnesota State Mankato during the offseason.  

The Wildcats do, however, return a lot of talent from last year. Redshirt sophomore guard Alec Millender spent last year recovering from a torn labrum and surgery on both of his hips but is fully healthy for the upcoming year. He will be joined in the backcourt by junior Jay Saunders who averaged 6.3 points per game, sophomore David Harmon who averaged 3.6 points per game and junior Sean Stokes who saw limited playing time last season with only 8.1 minutes per game. 

The front court will be led by junior forward Cody McCullough, who averaged 8.2 points per game and 7.8 rebounds per game and junior forward Elijah Watson, who only played in 14 games last year but showed a lot of promise. 

The bench depth got boosted with a massive incoming freshman class. Guard JJ Ferrin is a product of Skutt Catholic High School in Omaha, NE, and helped the Skyhawks to a Class B State Title last season. Guards Landon Classen and Zach Anderson and forwards Wade Voss and Aiden Sullivan also enter the program. 

Not only did the Wildcats get a huge freshman haul, but the Wildcats also were able to bring a transfer to Wayne America. Junior forward Trey Deveaux is a transfer from Central Community College where he averaged 18.9 points per game and 6.1 rebounds per game, helping the Raiders to a 22-11 record and a trip to the National Junior College Athletic Association National Tournament.  

Head Coach Jeff Kaminsky is entering his eighth year at WSC and 36th year overall as a head coach. Kaminsky has an overall record of 98-98, with a 72-71 mark in NSIC play with the Wildcats. 

The Wildcats will open their season against Sagrado Corazon in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Friday, Nov. 10, with tip off set for 10 a.m.  

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.