Weather safety in Nebraska is important

Living on your own in Nebraska when the weather gets cold can present some challenges, so being prepared for different types of weather is an important step to take. 

The weather in Nebraska fluctuates frequently, being below zero degrees one day and a high of 50 the next. Knowing how to take care of vehicles and keep oneself safe is important when living in Nebraska. Wayne State College’s website offers information on what to do in case of an emergency.  

“Tune into a local radio or TV station for closure information,” the Wayne State Weather Emergencies page said. This website will keep people updated on what to do if the weather gets bad. 

Making sure cars are being taken care of is important to keep them working in the winter weather.  

“Make sure your vehicle has tires that are in good condition, your fluids are full, including antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid, and washer fluid, and the battery is in good condition,” Jason Mrsny, the security manager at WSC, said. “This means it is fully charged and you have clean battery terminals.”  

If students are worried about their vehicles and are not sure how to check these things, many auto body shops are available in the Wayne area. Cold weather may also impact tires so make sure they are full of air before driving your vehicle.  

“Your car may have a dead battery if the vehicle is not driven on a regular basis,” Mrsny said. 

Before going somewhere, people should take time to start their car so they know it starts up. When experiencing issues, campus security is available to help.  

“Take time to start and drive your vehicle for a short time, rather than letting it set for extended periods without running,” Mrsny said.  

It is also important to prepare in case of emergency. This means keeping supplies in vehicles in case of a breakdown.  

“Prepare an emergency kit to place in your vehicle,” Mrsny said. “This may include gloves, a stocking cap, blankets, jumper cables/jump box, a working tire jack, and a four-way lug wrench.” 

It is possible for cars to break down while driving or even in the campus parking lot. There are many different what-if situations, so it is important to take the next step and be prepared. 

When living in the dorms, be prepared for the winter weather.  

“Keep windows in the dorm rooms closed during cold weather to avoid freezing pipes,” Mrsny said. Freezing pipes can lead to bursting and leaking into dorm rooms.  

Knowing what to do when the weather changes is important when living on your own. In case of emergency, contact Wayne State campus security at 402-375-7216. 

$100
$500