WSC student ranks nationally at CBI Awards

Wayne State student Grant Ferrell was nominated for College Broadcasters, Inc. National Student Production Awards in the category of Best Feature News Reporting for his feature story, “Detour Nebraska: Nebraska Legislature.”  

Ferrell, a junior majoring in electronic media, has made many contributions to collegiate broadcasting and student media during his time at WSC, which paid off in Orlando, FL., where the National Student Production Awards took place on Oct. 18-21.  

The National Student Production Awards allow college students across the U.S. to showcase their work in a nationally recognized competition. The awards span across 29 categories in audio, video and multimedia, along with four Visual Media Festival categories.  

Ferrell took fourth place in the Best Feature News Reporting category, surprising none of the KWSC members back home who have witnessed his previous achievements.  

“Grant has been a good leader for KWSC and a great station manager,” Quinn Otto, a member of the KWSC radio team, said. “He is always conjuring ideas for the station and flourishes behind the mic.” 

In the spring, Ferrell won a second place Golden Leaf Award in Best Audio Promotional Announcement with his promotion of the WSC Food Pantry.   

Doctor Sean X. Ahern, associate professor of communication arts and advisor for KWSC-FM radio, spoke fondly of Ferrell in a press release by WSC.  

“I am very proud of Grant for going to this conference on his own and promoting the great work of KWSC-FM,” Ahern said. “I reached out to some other advisors and general managers at other schools affiliated with CBI, and they all said that Grant was a fantastic ambassador for Wayne State.” 

The Best Feature News Reporting category is for feature or soft news packages that air during any regularly scheduled newscast. Judging is based on content and service to the community with considerations concerning writing, editing, news judgment, delivery and presentation taken into account, according to the CBI official entry announcement.  

The KWSC radio team is glad to have Ferrell back and ready to start cooking up new projects in the studio.  

“Grant and I joined radio about the same time, and he has always been dedicated to his work in the station,” Jasmine Snyder, promotions director of the KWSC radio team, said. “Grant loves to come up with new ideas for KWSC and always carries them through so wonderfully. He is beyond deserving of his CBI award!”  

$100
$500