Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

New psychology professor arrives at Wayne State

Marianne Baykina joins Wayne State College’s psychology and sociology department this fall as an assistant professor.   

Baykina said she was 15 when she first said she wanted to be a psychologist, her first degree is in economic cybernetics. She then completed her Ph.D. in Texas and taught there and has also taught in Ohio, Iowa, Oregon, and Georgia.  

Baykina not only has a passion for psychology and sociology, but a passion for teaching it.  

“I love to lead students thinking,” Baykina said. “I love to expose them to something new.”  

She said she likes to help students see the practical importance of psychology and sociology for use in their everyday lives.  

“I like to teach them abstract thinking, critical thinking,” Baykina said. “I love to teach them cross cultural stuff but expose them to very different things and views and to show them their logic basically.”  

Baykina says critical thinking and abstract thinking skills are important because many people change careers over their lifetime, and both help navigate life’s changes.  

Baykina said what attracted her to Wayne State College was the location, the job description and that she wanted to work at a teaching institution.  

Assistant professor in sociology Jeff Shelton said the department is excited to work with Baykina.  

“She compliments the other psychology professor here, brings a lot to the table as far as her teaching and research interests go,” Shelton said. “I think she’s a great fit for our students and for what we do here at Wayne State.” 

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.