Top Ten Showtunes that will inspire your inner theatre nerd

For as long as I can remember I have been obsessed with Broadway musicals. As a self-proclaimed theatre nerd, I have compiled a list of some of the top ten musicals that might inspire you to sing and dance in your dorm room.  

Hadestown (2019) – “Hadestown” is the unique, riveting adaptation of “Orpheus and Eurydice,” a Greek tragedy of one man’s journey to bring his muse out of the Underworld and bring back spring. Anais Mitchell’s “Hadestown” brings this ancient tale into the 21st Century through the lens of the Great Depression, where Hades lives as a factory tycoon, Eurydice as a penniless drifter and Orpheus as a naïve musician who works as a speakeasy waiter. When poverty strikes, Eurydice sells her soul for basic needs and Orpheus must travel along the railroad to rescue Eurydice from the Underworld, which is now called “Hadestown.” 

The music of “Hadestown can be described as folk with a New Orleans sound. American singer-songwriter Anais Mitchell passionately composed the musical to question a couple of big questions such as failure, poverty, freedom and love, similar to myths from across the world. 

Six: The Musical (UK 2017, US 2021) – Six the Musical is a modern remix of the lives of the six wives of Henry VIII as they compete for the role as the lead singer in an all-female pop group. The play is performed by an all-female cast and band in a sassy pop concert. The six queens take inspiration from modern singers of pop royalty like Britney Spears, Alicia Keys, and Beyoncé. The show creators, Lucy Moss and Tobey Marlow were only undergraduate students in college while composing songs on Broadway.  

Addams Family: The Musical (2009) – Addams Family is a wild kooky ride for those who love this morbid family. The Addams Family musical centers around everyone’s favorite Addams, Wednesday, and what happens when she gets her first boyfriend, a normal boy who comes to meet her family. Besides Wednesday’s boy drama, audience members also experience Uncle Fester’s unrequited love for the moon as well as the misadventures of every ancestor of the Addams. Whether you are a fan of the Addams Family or of the Halloween season, then you will have a wild time visiting the Addams family in this musical.  

Fiddler on the Roof (1971) – Fiddler on the Roof tells the story of a fictional village named Anatevka and its inhabitants. In this fictional town, a poor milkman named Teveye and his misadventures with the arranged marriage of his seven daughters. This musical is steeped heavily in Jewish heritage and as someone with a Jewish family member, this hits close to home, which has made this old musical on of my personal favorites. Even though there are references to Jewish heritage, an audience member does not have to be Jewish to enjoy this musical.  

Ain’t Too Proud: The Life and Times of the Temptations (2018) – “Ain’t Too Proud” is a musical biopic of the Temptations. The Temptations were a famous Motown group who were famous for famous tunes like “Shout” and “My Girl.” The musical takes the audience on the Temptation’s journey from the streets of Detroit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, while also introducing Motown groups such as “the Supremes” and musical geniuses like Smokey Robinson. The musical also mentions the group’s struggles with performing during the chaos of the civil rights movement.  The musical is narrated by Otis Williams, one of the original members whose story shines brightly when listening to Temptations.  

Newsies (1992) (2011) – Disney’s “Newsies” is a high energy musical that is sure to get the audience out of their seat. Based on the Newsboys Strike of 1899; the musical talks about how the newsboys of New York City had the courage to strike against unfair wages, brought on by News tycoons like Joseph Pulitzer at the turn of the century. The musical’s album featured beloved songs from Disney veteran, Alan Menken, and a memorable story that is adapted from a previous movie from 1992. Memorable songs such as “Carrying the Banner” and “King of New York” will become a part of your playlist soon enough.  

West Side Story (1961) (2021) Put on your dance shoes for this American classic. “West Side Story” is an American retelling of William Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet.” In this classic, two kids become infatuated with one another as two rival gangs fight for territory in New York City during the 1960s. Even though some scenes in this musical are outdated, the West Side Story album brings you back to a different time.  

Grease (1978) – With its slicked back hair and leather jacket, Grease is the seventh installment of this superb list of showtunes. Grease is a musical about the ups and downs of high school in the 1950s. Whether you are familiar with the John Travolta movie or the Broadway version, this is a musical for fans of movies like “Mean Girls” or “Hairspray.” With killer vocals from actors like John Travolta, Stockyard Channing and Olivia Newton John, this musical is a fan favorite.  

Finding Neverland (2017) – Get ready to fly to Neverland with the musical, “Finding Neverland.” Based on the 2004 film of the same name, this musical tells the story of British author, J.M Barrie and his interactions with the Llewelyn Davies boys who inspired “Peter Pan.” The album features stellar songs by “Glee’s” Mathew Morrison as well as Broadway veteran, Kelsey Grammar. This musical is a passionate joyride of imagination and adventure which will surely inspire the child in everyone.  

Hamilton (2016) – it would not feel right to exclude this musical from this list. For those unfamiliar with “Hamilton,” it is about the Revolutionary War and the lives of the founding fathers. The music can be described as hip-hop with a Broadway twist. Even though the songs can be overhyped, they are a fun form escapism after a long day. Whether you are interested in the American Revolution or love a good hip-hop soundtrack then this musical is for you.  

$100
$500